Published on November 12, 2013 | by Jamie Ford


Cup dream ends early for UAL men’s 1st

University of Greenwich Men’s 2nd 3 – 1 UAL Men’s 1st

UAL Men's 1st football team prior to kick off in a cup game

UAL men’s 1st suffered an early cup exit [photo by: Seren Jenkins]

UAL men’s football first team crashed out of the South Eastern Plate in the first round of the competition at the hands of Greenwich University at Sparrows Farm.

Heavy wind and rain on Wednesday morning made sure the pitch was set up for a scrappy affair, with the wet conditions making the surface nearly impossible to pass the ball on.

Arts, however, started extremely well as they were desperate to shake off their underdog status.

Within the first few minutes James Collins threaded through a perfectly weighted ball for captain Jamie Ford to seize upon, only to see it saved by the Greenwich keeper.

Although the conditions were fierce, it didn’t stop Arts from playing the ball along the floor to retain possession.

However Greenwich’s game plan looked to benefit them as constant lofted passes were beating the Arts back four.

Ten minutes in and Arts conceded their second penalty of the season through a late challenge, which striker John McDonald converted.


A sluggish restart from UAL was punished by Greenwich who began to dominate the game and heap the pressure on the fragile Arts defence, and the frustration from the guests doubled after a save from goalkeeper James Hoang rebounded off defender Elliott Tugwell to go into the back of the net and make the score 2-0.

Despite Will Mowbray’s relentless terrorising runs at the Greenwich defence he was unable to claw back a goal, and free kicks from Justin Ortega and Ford came close to kick-start an Arts comeback.

The pace of the game at the start of the second half slowed down and turned into a play based on tough challenges contested by both sides.

The scrappy nature of the game lead to very few chances before McDonald’s floated header somehow found its way into the Arts net to give Greenwich a commanding lead.

After the restart Arts looked much better as they began to create chance after chance, with Mowbray driving the ball wide of the goal and another Ortega free kick going close.

Great link up play between Ford, Miguel Vazquez and Mowbray saw the ball trickle through to thirds loanee Ryan Jackson who calmly finished to give UAL some sort of hope.

However a change of tactics for Greenwich saw their back line tighten up and denied any further chance for UAL, but it was a valiant effort from the firsts who proved that the gulf in leagues isn’t all that much.


Tags: , , , , ,

Comments are closed.

Back to Top ↑