Published on May 16, 2013 | by Alana Maytum0
Top 10 Travel Tips
WHEN travelling, you can never be too prepared. Here are 10 key tips on how to travel safely wherever you are in the world, and whoever you are with.
- Familiarize yourself with local laws. The last thing you want is to be locked up in a Thai prison with 30 other people. We don’t all have the gorgeous Mark Darcy to bail us out!
- Be careful of drink spiking. Keep your drink close to you and don’t accept any drinks from strangers and drink from bottles when possible.
- Be careful with your cash. If you need to carry cash then try to avoid carrying large amounts, keep money in separate parts of your bag, or get a pre-paid travel cash card.
- Don’t skimp on insurance. If you have an accident you want to be covered for medical expenses. Shop around for the best deal, and double check the T&Cs.
- Learn the lingo. Or at least a few essential phrases. The locals will appreciate it and you can at least pretend to be cultured.
- What happens in Vegas… stays with you forever. Your morals don’t change when you cross the border, so if you’re gonna be reckless, wear a condom. You don’t want to come home with sunburn and Chlamydia.
- Dress appropriately according to the location. Hot pants and crop tops are not appropriate in Vatican City. You don’t want to go all the way there just to be turned away.
- Check your visas. Don’t rely on the mate’s advice who went to Vietnam 10 years ago. Check on an official government website.
- Keep your passport safe! It’s a lifeline in a foreign country.
- Check vaccinations and medication for your vacations. They can be expensive, but don’t be tight. Malaria can kill you, and if it saves your life, it’s £35 well spent.