Published on May 16, 2013 | by Sophie Smallshaw0
The soundtrack to your summer
WITH 2013 shaping up to be a pretty exciting year for music already, this summer it only gets better. Whether you’re packing your wellies for Glastonbury or swimwear for Ibiza, Arts London Now has the top picks of new musical delights that will undoubtedly become the soundtrack to your summer.
- VAMPIRE WEEKEND – The American indie-rock band return to the UK this summer for a slot on Glastonbury’s Pyramid Stage, with their follow up to the 2010 hit album Contra. New Album Modern Vampires Of The City promises the bands statement surf-guitar sound that could put a smile on even the most cynical of faces. ALBUM RELEASE DATE: 14th May
- LAURA MARLING – With three critically acclaimed albums and a Brit award already in the bag, the 23 year old Brit prepares to drop her fourth album Once I Was An Eagle this summer. Listen to first single ‘Master Hunter’ for a preview of the folksy songstress’ progression of her signature sound. ALBUM RELEASE DATE: 28th May
- MS MR – New York newbies Lizzy Plapinger and Max Hershenow, who together make the enigmatic MS MR, have been quick to make waves this year with their electronic dream pop and homemade music videos à la Lana Del Rey. Previous singles ‘Hurricane’ and ‘Bones’ are a must listen. ALBUM RELEASE DATE: 14th May
- TOM ODELL – It’s not easy following in the footsteps of former Critics Choice award winners Adele and Ellie Goulding, but it is a position that is filled nicely by newcomer Tom Odell. With his acoustic folk, perfect for those lazy summer days, the 22 year old is a must-see at this summer’s festivals. ALBUM RELEASE DATE: 24th June
- DAFT PUNK – The godfathers of electronic music are back to dominate the summer with their new album Random Access Memories. First single ‘Get Lucky’ features Pharrell Williams on vocals over the French duos beats and is a guaranteed early contender for anthem of the summer. ALBUM RELEASE DATE: 20th May